Tuesday 4 March 2014

what a tangled web we weave

I'd apologise for the title but I'm not sorry at all, its much more exciting than 'honours project update'. No Regrets. So, an update on my honours project is more than due. University has been so full on lately and I've barely had a minute to spare - let alone time to collect my thoughts and write about it. But with the help of a (read: twenty) to-do lists I finally have time to update this! 



In my last post about the project I think I went into the theme (kitsch) very briefly and then stated that I was moving onto yarn/wool. I think I've drawn about 200 sketches while I've been trying desperately to develop the knitting designs I first scribbled down. I've started macramé weaving using countless youtube tutorials and I'm so happy with the outcome. I was initially weaving cheap polyester wool and couldn't decide what I wanted to try it with next. I knew I wanted to make it on a much bigger scale but I didn't want to go with rope as I felt it would give the whole display a nautical feel.

Thankfully it has moved on and after a super successful (and unnecessarily excited) trip to B&Q I think I'll be ready to start making my props for my window display next week! I popped in for some nails and thought I'd peruse their rope selection in case there was something that caught my eye. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was like a kid in a sweet shop; they have rope in almost every colour imaginable for about 65p a metre. I ended up going for a white and pink, coral pink and bright green coloured rope and I am so happy. 

Next up is sourcing huge wooden frames and I promise I'll keep this updated.







No comments:

Post a Comment