Monday 10 March 2014

l'oreal industrial placement

As previously promised, I said I'd keep you updated with information on my job hunt. Obviously I knew the search would have some highs and some lows (spoiler alert on this one; I didn't get the job). I was really disappointed at first but I've had a week to get over it and I can see that even just applying and interviewing for jobs is good experience. 


I stumbled across the job listing on L'oreal's website during a mammoth job hunt, I was at the stage of hysteria, thinking of brands I'd love to work for but were completely unattainable, and searching their career pages. The position advertised was an Industrial Placement for a Visual Merchandiser in the brand's Hammersmith location, I read over the requirements and description and realised I fit and gave the application a go. I actually applied via my LinkedIn profile which made the whole process really quick and easy, it basically it copied my information into the application and left me to get on with the more difficult questions. So I sent the application off and waited. 

Within about a week I received an email from L'oreal asking me to participate in a numerical reasoning test online. I had never done one before but I spoke a friend who works at a finance company where she actually deals with contacting job applicants, including putting them forward for numerical tests and conducting phone interviews. She said that I should read up and revise topics likely to come up on BBC Bitesize, which I am so pleased I did, because after 6 years of not using maths I was slightly rusty. 

I took the maths test, was 100% I failed and was going to put this one down as an experience when I received another email from L'oreal, this time asking me to take part in a phone interview. Cue speaking to my well informed friend again, who told me she usually warms to people instantly if they sound cheery during phone interviews. I also researched people who had previously had telephone interviews with L'oreal and what type of questions they were asked, along with researching the company more, including their sub-brands (did you know L'oreal own The Body Shop, Lancome and Yves Saint Laurent, to name a few?). 

I don't think of myself as a particularly nervous person but when I was waiting for my phone interview I felt so anxious! When they did phone the interviewer was really understanding, she outlined how long the interview would take and what would be covered which put me at ease. The interview covered questions on L'oreal's core values; passion, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit and open mindedness which all go towards the brand's quest for excellence. 

The interviewer started with asking me why I wanted to work for L'oreal and why I wanted to work in visual merchandising. She then went onto ask questions that would highlight instances where I had shown innovation, leadership, focus on targets and had worked with someone difficult. On a couple she asked me to elaborate or think of anything about the instances that I would change. Finally I was asked to pick a L'oreal product and explain why I had chosen it. At the end the interviewer went over what the next steps of the process would be if I was put forward to the assessment centre and told me when I should expect to hear from them. I had a gut feeling that the interview had went well and I answered the questions to the best of my ability and I was right, I got an email a few hours later asking me to come to an assessment centre the following week.

I was sent an email containing information on the assessment centre, which was basically a day long interview, the day began with another numerical test, then a group exercise, then you were given a case study which you had to give a solo presentation and be interviewed on and finally there was a competency based interview.

Sadly at this point I received a phone call from L'oreal's recruitment where they explained that I wasn't eligible for the placement as when it began I would be a graduate. They did apologise as it was not stated on the application and said to me that if I apply for a job with them in the future that the fact I made it to the final stages of interview would be taken into consideration. It was a total disappointment and I let myself mope for a day but on reflection it was a great experience for, what I assume, is most corporate brands' interview process.

No comments:

Post a Comment