Sunday 23 March 2014

milan: day one

Way back last year my university began to arrange a trip away to Italy, I had never been before so jumped at the chance to go. Coincidentally it landed on my birthday weekend and being in Milan for my 24th birthday was perfect. 

Mont Blanc from the plane.
We flew from Manchester really really early, which meant I had to drag myself out of bed at about 3am. I know, I'm still harrowed by the experience, but it was worth it because we got into Milan at lunchtime and the weather was amazing, such a change from rainy Britain. We had the afternoon to ourselves so caught the tube into town.


We got off at the Duomo which is absolutely beautiful but also crawling with tourists. We had one thing on our minds at this point, food. We wandered around trying to find somewhere that a beer wouldn't cost €9 and ended up walking through the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II which is spectacular. It showcases the best of Italian designer stores like Prada, Gucci and Dolce & Gabbanna along with restaurants who, most importantly, sold gelato (I think I consumed my own weight in gelato over the course of the weekend).

 Duomo di Milan


We then ventured further out of the centre, stopping to grab a cannoli (obviously), coffees (again, obviously) and enjoy the sights. It was the perfect way to spend my birthday, which ended with my sandals breaking and me walking around Milan in my bare feet. Keeping it classy, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment